Completed in 1910, and built on the edge of a sheer cliff on the shore of Lake Superior, the construction of Split Rock Lighthouse was a response to the loss and damage of 29 ships in the famous Mataafa Storm five years earlier.
As there were no roads to the location, all materials were shipped by water, and lifted 133 feet to the site by a crane.
Due to its scenic view, Split Rock Lighthouse was a popular tourist attraction and prompted the construction of our famous Minnesota Highway 61 to accommodate visitors. It was decommissioned in 1969, and now is part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, just southwest of Silver Bay, Minnesota.
A beautiful place, now a beautiful case!
Also available in Walnut